Why does a green smoothie leave you feeling revitalized, rejuvenated and refreshed? My answer is that the vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants naturally found in green fruits and veggies are nature’s gift of “energy:”
- Green apples are high in Vitamin C and low in calories.
- Pears are high in fiber while a pear’s skin has antioxidants, anti-infammatories for those sore and achy muscles and a boatload of fiber.
- Kiwis are high in vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and low in calories.
- Kale is known as a superfood becuase it’s low in calories, has zero fat, supports the cardiovascular system and is high in all the good stuff like iron, vitamin K and powerful antioxidants.
- Spinach is yet another low calorie superfood loaded with almost too many benefits to name such as vitamins, protein, fiber, magnesium and copper.
Oh yeah, and because I just don’t believe in eating food (especially smoothies!) that don’t taste extra darn good, this smoothie is the perfect blend of tart and sweet with a touch of spice from the ginger.
The "Green Monster" Revitalizing Smoothie Recipe
This recipe will supercharge your body! It is packed with everything from fiber and anti-oxidants to vitamin K and protein. Oh yeah, and because I just don't believe in eating food (especially smoothies!) that doesn't taste extra darn good, this smoothie is the perfect blend of tart and sweet with a touch of spice from the ginger.
- 3/4 Cup Almond Milk Unsweetened
- 1 Cup Greek Yoghurt Full Fat
- 1 Banana
- 1 Green Pear Chopped
- 1 Green Apple Chopped
- 1 Kiwi Peeled
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Kale Chopped
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger Peeled
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 Cup Ice
Place ingredients in order listed in Vitamix or other high-powered blender. If using a Vitamix, choose 'Frozen Desserts' setting. Once the blender stops, add more water for a thinner smoothie and more ice if you prefer it frothier.
As always, thank you for stopping by Jackie Unfiltered. Why is the name of this smoothie “the Green Monster?” Well, I dedicate this recipe to two of my biggest supporters and favorite couple up in Boston. I am a constant cheerleader, connector and doer for everyone in my life so it’s nice when you have folks who see you and cheer for you. You know who you are…thank you!